Tuesday, July 27, 2010

To Live!

I stare at an oak tree and think to myself,
"How is it that this motionless, unusual being exists?"
I examine it from roots - to tips of branches... My brain tells me it is alive, as its leaves are green, but my eyes find it hard to believe.
I stare past it, at another tree in the distance. Then, the oak tree comes to life. It bows before me and says,
"Just because I am in the same location, year in and year out, doesn't mean I do not live... This, Man, is my purpose. Look at my branches... what do you see?"
I don't hesitate to inspect once more, and a wealth of things become apparent. Squirrels, birds, lizards, and a multitude of insects.
Then the tree says,
"Look around me... what do you see?"
I respond as if doubting myself,
"Shade?"
And she quickly replies,
"Now do you understand what I am? It's quite simple. You see, I am a home. I breathe life for you and for all... This is my purpose."
How foolish am I to have not noticed this...
She then asks, "And you, Man, I see you day in and day out, sitting with friends, running around, singing, walking aimlessly. What is your purpose?”
Then, just as the town clock announces the hour, the Wind begins to blow, and the tree falls into a trance. She swings and sways and rocks to the rhythm of a song that I have never heard. The Wind blows through my limbs as well, but unlike the tree, I am unaffected. I hesitate to interrupt her, but I overcome my fear and I ask,
"Why is it that you can dance with the Wind but I cannot?"
She responds, as if with a fire burning within her,
"Because that is the Wind's purpose... He plays the lute, that I may dance... Because the Wind is my love. Go now, Man... Go and find your purpose, and like you have witnessed today, wait for your love. And when She comes and plays for you Her sweet, seductive melody, dance for Her and with Her... Until She plays Her song for you no more. And when She parts from your side, fear not... Be at ease, for just as the Wind ebbs and flows, she will also return... perhaps stronger, perhaps longer... and she will play her song for you"

"I am alive because it is so... This is all I need know. My purpose is simple... To Live!"

© José V. Guerra Awe

1 comment:

  1. I really like this... isn't that the eternal struggle of man? What's my purpose? Not so easy for us, eh?

    ReplyDelete